Skip to content

Green Business Network


Return to main news page

Changes to Waste Carriers’ licensing will mean more businesses have to register

Check your status to avoid prosecutions

Release date: 09/05/2011

From 29 March 2011, new regulations introduced a two-tier registration system for waste carriers, brokers and dealers – Upper and Lower Tier. If you want to transport other people's controlled waste, or your own construction and demolition waste, you must register with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier.

From the end of December 2013, you will also need to register as a lower tier carrier if you normally and regularly carry controlled waste produced by your own business.

Controlled waste includes commercial, industrial and household waste, as well as hazardous waste. All businesses can register as waste carriers including self-employed individuals, partnerships, companies or other types of organisation. You need to register even if carrying waste is not your main business activity or if you only carry waste occasionally.

If you do not register and you carry waste, you could be prosecuted.

If you had a waste carrier certificate before 29 March 2011, you don't need to do anything. When your certificate is due to be renewed it will be replaced with an upper tier certificate.

For more information, please visit the Business Link website at:,F8K6,8LBM9,187O2,1

Return to main news page